Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Yummy Chicken Salad and Mayo Recipe, Great Lunch Idea


So today I tried a new recipe and my taste testers, all agreed it was yummy!  When it gets thumbs up from all my kids and a friends child who is non-paleo that says something.  That said I figured it was one worth sharing.  This would make a great lunch, either at home or on the go.  I did use cashews because it was what I had, but personally I think pecans would be the best nut choice. If you do use pecans and chop them small you probably want to use only 1/2 cup.  I'm sharing the Mayonnaise recipe I used today, but feel free to use a different one if you already have one you like.  It may change the flavor a bit  but I don't think it will be enough to make a difference.
Happy Eating!


Homemade Mayonnaise


1 egg, (By the way, just  a little tidbit, using Pastured eggs greatly reduces the likely hood of salmonella.) 
1/2 cup olive oil (NOT Extra Virgin or Virgin, just plain and simple olive oil or the flavor will be to strong)
1/2 cup Macadamia nut oil
1 TBSP Bragg's Apple Cider vinegar
1/2 tsp prepared yellow mustard
sea salt to taste
a dash of cayenne 
Mayonnaise all mixed and ready to use.


This first step is optional, and I am not  sure that it really does anything, but for some reason it eases my mind with the whole raw egg thing.  Take a mug 3/4 full of hot boiling water, add the whole egg STILL IN THE SHELL, and let sit for 1 minute.  Then remove and crack immediately adding to the food processor (it will have a somewhat milky look to it but should not be cooked, it should still be runny).Then using a food processor, combine the egg, cider and mustard on low for a few seconds.  Then VERY SLOWLY, this is important, VERY SLOWLY, add the oils.  After you have added the oils slowly and it is combined add your seasoning to taste. 
*This recipe is my version of Sarah Fragoso's, Everyday Paleo Mayo*


CHICKEN SALAD


1 batch of homemade mayonnaise (or about 1 cup)
4 cups of chopped leftover chicken  ( I used Sarah Fragoso's Spiced crock pot chicken)
2 large celery stalks diced
1/2 cup fruit juice sweetened craisins
2/3 cup pecans or cashews (nut of your choice really)
1/3-1/2 cup finely diced apples
salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients in the bowl ready to be mixed.
Combine all the ingredients in a a large bowl and mix well with a fork, serve on lettuce leaves, or with cucumbers, or just eat it plain.  A great way to re-purpose leftovers and it taste great!

All mixed up and ready to be plated.

Chicken salad ready to be eaten.

Pin It

5 comments:

  1. I do something similar to this except I use only celery and apples along with sliced almonds. Never thought to add cranberries, although I do add cranberries to my tuna salad. It's so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a versatile idea, sometimes we add Pear apples, or grapes, there are really so many options. Thanks for sharing Robin@toxicbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to do something similar but with raisins and would put it on top of baby spinach. There was something about the spinach that really brought out the best in the chicken salad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I ask why you chose to use macadamia nut oil and olive oil instead of just using only olive oil? I've only ever made it with olive oil, so curious what kind of a difference this would make

    ReplyDelete