Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A Taste of Home



I have been in the mood lately for a little taste from home.  Having grown up in the Aleutian Islands of Alaska,(think Deadliest Catch), I grew up on freshly caught halibut, salmon, crab, you name it.  Funny thing of it was, that I didn't like and still don't enjoy seafood.  I know, I know, it's crazy!  I did however enjoy my moms Salmon Patties growing up and they have been sounding really good to me.  So I started digging through recipes to see about making it Paleo compatible and was amazed at how easy it is.  When I was growing up, we as a family would go out in our little skiff and  (my dad really) would gill net 100's of salmon at a time with friends.  We would bring them home and clean them all, my job was usually beheading them, not a glorious job let me tell you, but it allowed me to be part of the excitement.  My dad would fillet the ones we would smoke in his custom made smoke house (best smoke fish ever!! and Paleo to boot!)  and my mom would can freshly caught salmon for use during the winter months.  She would descale them, sometimes skin them but always can them with bones, because they were good for you. 
So when I went to buy canned salmon, I just couldn't bring myself to buy anything but the best, I know there are cheaper alternatives out there and maybe I will give them a try next time but I was quite satisfied with this salmon.  The first recipe are the ones that taste like I remember mom making, and everyone around here gave them a hearty thumbs up.  The second may appeal to those with a more refined taste I suppose.  Sometimes simple is better, and fewer ingredients is all you need.  Hope you enjoy them as much as we did.
Sheilla


 Mom's Paleo Salmon Patties 


3- 6 ounce cans of Wild Caught Alaska Salmon
2 large Omega 3 eggs, beaten well
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 cup Almond meal/flour
1 cup minced or diced onion
3 stalks of Organic Celery diced
a dash or 1/8 tsp of granulated garlic

Olive oil for frying (NOT extra virgin)



Start by getting out a nice heavy skillet, I used my 10 inch cast Iron skillet, fill it with a layer of olive oil (about 1/4 inch or so) and heat over med heat.  My stove runs hot so you may need to up the temperature to med-high.  The oil should be hot enough to cook but not burn them.  
Crack your eggs and add them to a medium bowl, beating well.  Then open and drain your salmon, adding to the eggs, add remaining ingredients and mix well (the secret is to use your hands and mix it really well).  
Then using a 1/4 measuring cup, scoop  your salmon mixture and into your hands.  Using your hands shape into a ball (compacting it tightly) and flatten with your hands, reshaping as you go.  

Using a spatula to lift the flattened Pattie from your cutting board or other surface, slide it into the hot oil and cook 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden and crispy.  

Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb some of the oil, and allow to drain while you repeat the process. 

I usually was able to cook at least 5 at a time.  This will give you 7 or 8, 2 ounce patties.  Serve with a bit of fresh lemon and enjoy.


My second batch I tried a different twist, which were just as tasty but not like mom's.  Each version received a hearty thumbs up from the family tonight.


That said here are some alternatives, reduce the onion to 3/4 cup and add two diced green onions.  You could also try adding some dill, more pepper,  or even some fresh parsley.
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Hey! how did you know I was just looking at salmon cakes recipes. Too funny...where do I get this salmon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you, I bought it at Costco in a 6 pack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely trying these!!
    Thank you Sheilla!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Why don't you use coconut oil or lard as these oil and fats can handle high temperatures. I have a sensitivity to almonds so I am thinking of using coconut flour in the same ratio any thoughts, Phil

    ReplyDelete