Saturday, August 27, 2011

Blueberry Crisp...so delicious!

After searching the internet I found this same recipe on several Paleo Blogs and let me tell you it is so good!  It is best warm for sure!  Hot out of the oven it was off the chart!  I enjoyed it best with some coconut milk poured over it, tasted like oatmeal and blueberries!  I loved oatmeal in my pre-paleo days so it was a nice treat to have something that tasted so good and was still "Paleo".  Not only that but it is super easy and I look forward to trying it with other fruits too.  I will try to get some pictures posted soon, it's just so delicious I had to share it. If anyone knows who the original creator of this recipe is please post in comments so I may give them credit.


Blueberry Crisp



  • 1 1/2 cups almond meal
  • 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
  • 1 cup chopped pecans or  walnuts (I used walnuts)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/3 cup organic butter, or coconut oil, warmed
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup (may want to decrease this amount depending on personal preference and the sweetness of your fruit)

 Blueberry Crisp  with pecan crumble ready to bake.

 Blueberry Crisp baked and ready to serve.
 
Blueberry Crisp with Pecan crumble, served with Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream.
  • Mix all the dry ingredients together and add in the wet ingredients. Grease a 8x8" pan with coconut oil and fill the bottom of the pan with a nice thick layer of berries.  I used a lot of berries (about 4 cups worth), and then topped it with the crumble topping and baked at 350 for about 30-35 minutes depending on your oven.  
  • Remove and enjoy, top it with some coconut milk for a yummy breakfast, or top with some coconut milk ice cream for dessert, or just enjoy it as is. 
  • I made this again tonight to go with my homemade ice cream but with pecans and it's amazing the difference the nut makes.  The Pecans make it more of a dessert dish for sure, I also used blanched almond meal this time.  The first time I  used unblanched almond meal and walnuts and like I said it had a totally different taste, reminded me of oatmeal with some coconut milk poured over it.  My personal preference is with the unblanched almond meal and walnuts.  But either way is very delicious, will probably continue to make it both ways depending on the occasion.
  •  
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. This was incredibly good! I used the pecans and blanched almond meal, and I used half blueberries and half cherries since that's what I had. It tasted a lot like my Mom's fruit crisp, but this was much healthier and lower in sugar. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your blog and also for your faithfulness to your family and the Word! I just made this today. I was in a rush and messed up and forgot the Coconut oil and Molasses. So I drizzled some honey on top....

    I made it with Blueberries, thin sliced Apples and SWEET POTATO shredded in it and oh my the sweet potato really made it sweet. I served it with Whipped Cream sweetened with honey. Oh my.... so delicious!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tami, thanks for sharing, others may want to try your variation, the base is so yummy you can really put it on almost anything! Not sure if you'll catch it or not but it actually calls for maple syrup and not molasses. I've done that before too, gotten to the end of the process and realized I forgot the maple syrup so we just drizzled some over the top, it works, but when I remember to do it right it's even better! Thanks for the encouragement, I really appreciate it and for sharing your idea with the blueberries, apples and sweet potato, I bet it tastes amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3 Studies SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually burn fat by eating Coconut Fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from major medical journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete