Sunday, February 20, 2011

Spanish Cauliflower Rice

This is my version of traditional Spanish Rice with a twist, it's not rice!  It's actually cauliflower, and  it is so good, you won't believe you are eating cauliflower!

2 heads of cauliflower, just florets removed and pulsed in food processor till size of rice,  (save the stalks for making soup or broth later).
3 TBSP bacon grease
1 onion chopped
2 cloves of Garlic chopped
1/2 a small green pepper, chopped, (I was out so I subbed 1 mini red and 1 mini yellow pepper and it was great!)
1 (10 ounce) can Mexican Recipe Stewed tomatoes (I chopped my tomatoes smaller)
1 teaspoon Hot Mexican Style Chili Powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Heat your bacon grease in a heavy skillet, I always use my cast iron 10" pan.  Add the onion, peppers and garlic and saute for a few minutes till onions are soft.  

Then add your riced cauliflower and fry over high heat for a couple of minutes.  Stir in your canned Mexican tomatoes and continue to cook for a couple more minutes over high heat until the liquid has evaporated, stirring only occasionally.

And your done, serve it up and enjoy.  
A great quick, easy, tasty side dish. 
Try adding a protein to it for a complete meal.   It is a very forgiving recipe, so you could try adding some Jalapeno, cilantro, whatever sounds good to you.  I like it just like this, mildly spicy, if you want it more bland try substituting regular chili powder for the hot chili powder.  
Enjoy!

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Having grown up in Spain: Why did I not think of this?! It sounds like an awesome way to make a rice-free paella!

    Seafood paella, here I come! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear this recipe is inspiring others to be creative, Paleo eating can be so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many people does this serve? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete